Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Rainy Day Projects

Ok, so let me start by saying I am not an interior designer. Like, at all.  Not a title I'll ever claim.  But I do like my home and my farm to be a reflection of me and the life we lead.  I like things to be beautiful.  At least to whatever level I can pull off.  (Don't peek into the downstairs family room right now! Two, two year old tornados just hit it.) I don't like to spend a lot of money on many things and try to be as frugal as possible in my pursuit of a pleasant home. 

Today was a very cold, wet, soggy day in Geraldine.  Autumn has definitely set in.  So other than feeding and watering all the critters and making sure everyone looked happy, we've hung out inside.  That gave me some time to do a couple of fun things.  First, hired man Jim and I took down a chandelier from the other house and moved it over here.  The other house is now opening as an assisted living home so the lighting needed to be updated to suit senior living better. 

My room at the farm has been bugging me.... It felt too big and empty. Nice, but kind of lacking character.  I was even tempted to move into one of the smaller bedrooms downstairs that are cozier.  But that would be kinda crazy.... So I decided to quit whining and fix up my room!

I found this photo of what the room looked like when I bought the house....



This is how I had my room for a while.  Nice enough, but I decided the zebra rug was a bit crazy.  It's now in my closet and is very happy there.  It's also nice on my bare tootsies in the mornings.

 
 
 
I had taken some pretty cool photos of old barns, old branding irons, (probably my favorite photo ever) and one of my saddle.  I've had them printed and framed for a while but never got around to hanging them.... until today!



 
 
Now they make that huge empty wall look a whole lot cozier!  The room also desperately needed a better light fixture. I absolutely hate those standard fixtures that the home builders put in! They should be against the law in my opinion! Just kidding.... we already have way too many laws.
 
 
 


So the chandelier now hangs in the center of my bedroom and looks fabulous!



 
The last piece I need to scrounge for is the right dust ruffle for the bed.  Home is always a work in progress if ya ask me.  Some of my favorite things in here are the Boston Terrier pillow from Pottery Barn and the antique phone. You know me and old things, I can't get enough.
 
So now you know what this farmgirl does for entertainment on rainy days.... I'd rather putter around and figure out how to spruce something up than sit in front of the TV all day.  And of course rainy days are good for blogging too! 
 
Bye for now,
B
 


4 comments:

  1. That light is perfect in there! And your bedroom is looking fab and cozy. Tip on the dust ruffle.... You can always use a fitted sheet around the box springs. It covers them and gives a nice tailored look.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking good! I love your barn photos and that new lamp is lovely! I'm not a proff decorator either, but if you don't mind my asking, is there a reason you don't have the head of your bed on the long wall where you hung the photos? It seems like you'd have more room for side tables on that wall. Just curious!!! Love your color scheme and the serenity you have created! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! The reasons for the bed placement are pretty silly. 1. When I was about 21 years old I read a book about Feng Shui and it said to never place a bed with the foot of the bed facing the door. So ever since then I have tried to keep that rule because I also think it usually looks better. 2. I like being able to lay in my bed and look out the window at the pine trees of the shelter belt. 3. That little cut out part of the wall feels tucked in and cozy to me compared to having it in the middle of the room. Thank you for the very sweet comments!

      Delete
  3. Jo,
    That is why you ARE the designer! I love the fitted sheet idea! Totally going to do that! Wanna come over and help me wrestle that king sized mattress? ;)

    ReplyDelete