Tuesday, September 13, 2016

See You On The Other Side


 Yesterday morning my Grammy left us for heaven.  It's a call you prepare yourself to get one day, but also the call you never really think you'll get.  Grammy lived almost ninety years on this earth.  She has been a solid presence in my life and for the past four and a half years a daily presence in the lives of my sons. I'm so thankful that we were fortunate enough to have my grandparents move to Geraldine for this season of their lives.



Grammy was much like many grandmothers I suppose.  She loved her grandchildren. She spoiled us at times.  We knew we could count on Grammy to take us to Dairy Queen every day when we visited her in Seattle. She would take me with her to second hand stores and let me pick out fancy, frilly prom dresses for playing dress-up.  My Grammy's fondness for second hand stores was undisputable. She also dearly loved little dogs, fast cars and jeans with sparkly pockets. She wasn't the kind of grandmother to sit and knit you a sweater.  She wasn't the kind of grandmother who loved to bake you cookies.  She was the kind of grandmother who showed me it's ok for a woman to take off on a road trip alone in a fast car.  She was the kind of grandmother who never set out to impress anyone.  She was always authentically herself with no apologies.  She had a quiet strength and independence that I believe was rare in a woman from her generation.



But she was also a devoted wife to my Grandpa for sixty seven years.  Together they raised four feisty daughters.  She had an unwavering faith in the Lord.  She loved to sing hymns in meeting and the fellowship she had there. So while there is a big empty space in our lives from her leaving, I know she is saving a seat for us at the feet of Jesus. 



So in my heart I haven't said goodbye to my Grammy.  I've said, "See you on the other side."

1 comment:

  1. What beautiful memories you have of your Grammy. Yes, you will see her on the other side, and your memories keep her alive in your heart. Prayers and hugs to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete