Sunday, October 20, 2013

This Is Not An Interior Design Blog, But Here's My Living Room

I never really thought I'd blog about my house.  Not in the "house tour" kind of way.  So I didn't prepare for it with lots of before pictures.  So this is pretty much the only one I have of the entry/ living area before.... You can see "The Tenant" was in his place above the stairwell and that the entry wall was olive green.  The main living room wall was also that color and had a mountain man wall paper border. I'm sorry I didn't get a photo of that.....
 

I had the walls painted Behr Wheat Bread.  I wanted light, but not white.  The old barn door behind the stairwell was found down by the corrals.  Once again I dragged in an old piece of history and gave it a scrubbing.  As far as farmhouses go, this is a pretty new one.  It was built in the early 1990's.  So I feel that giving the old pieces a purpose also gives my home a sense of longevity.  This farm has been here a long, long time even if the house didn't show it. 


Here's a chuckle for ya.  I'm raising Holstein calves that will someday be grass fed beef for my family and maybe yours too.  I have been pampering them along since I brought all ten of them home as teeny babies.  Prairie Momma Trish (from the Cowgirls post) has helped me with them quite a bit and knows them well.  When Trish stopped over the other day, she looked down at my brand new cow hide rug and exclaimed, "Oh no!! What happened?!"  I explained I had just purchased the rug at Sam's Club and everyone was fine.... but we sure laughed about that.



The front entry makes me smile now.  Some Behr Hawaiian Cinder is in the wall and I love the little bench.  The perfect place to yank your boots off after doing chores.

 
My world is one with rugrats, toys everywhere and sippy cups on the floor.... so I just left those where they lay.  Some reality never hurts.  This isn't an interior design blog ya know.  It's a "life on the prairie blog".


The look I was going for in here was western, but not so western that it looked like a rodeo was happening in my living room.  I love cozy, I love rustic and I love simple.  So this is what I ended up with. There's another post about my decorating style if you go here.


I had fun putting this autumn tray together.  The pine cones, pumpkin and butternut squash are from my yard.  The other things are from the grocery store.  Cheap and easy, gotta love it....

Thanks for checking out my living room! It really has been fun to write these posts and hear what ya'll think of my farmhouse.

Bye for now,
B

8 comments:

  1. I think the changes you've made are simple and perfect. I love your home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww shucks. You honor me with your compliments! :)

      Delete
  2. so amazing...I remember it before and I love the changes you have made...great minds think alike!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Barb, its been fun reading your project posts tonight. Your house is turning out awesome. Keep us updated :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Barb! Coming from Boston, Montana and your blog are fascinating! Laura Ingalls really does live! Love reading your posts.
    Colleen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I am honored and humbled by the comparison. :)

      Delete