Friday, October 18, 2013

All The Dirt

You guys seem to like the silly little post I did on fixing up my bedroom.  So just for fun, I thought I'd show you some of the other things I've done to the farmhouse since buying it in April of this year.  None of it needed any major overhauls or anything, but I've had a lot of fun adding my style to the place.

 Confession: I hate to do laundry!  Always have, always will.  I'm pretty domestic, I think.  But the tediousness of all that folding and matching and remembering to switch the wet things to the dryer ahead of the mildew setting in.... Oiy! Thank God Prairie Granny seems to be quite fond of that chore and helps me stay on top of it. She's like my laundry fairy! 

One thing I had to do was fix up the laundry room.  As you enter my front door, the laundry room and all it's mess is directly to your right.  It's also a walk through to my bedroom and bathroom. A very visible, high traffic spot. And it needed HELP!

 
 
I know some people really love wall paper borders.  I am not one of those people.  I put one up once in my oldest son's nursery and I did like it then.  But that was almost 8 years ago....

 
I also didn't want to keep the wire rack shelves. Maybe in a laundry that isn't right next to the front door it would be ok.  Like in a basement laundry.  But they felt too utilitarian for me....
 
So now....

 
 
 
This is the view you can see from the entry area.... 




You know how I'm a little obsessed with old things?  One of my very best friends gave me this old cabinet the other day.  (You know who you are and I love you to pieces. Even when you don't give me things!)  It was forgotten in a storage trailer for like a million years, covered in nasty, greasy dirt an filled with wasp nests.... but I LOVED it!  Some wasp spray and a good scrubbing and now it's the perfect cupboard to hold all the laundry soap and stuff!
 
 
The sign above the cupboard was a gift from a dear friend from the church used to attend before I moved to Geraldine. I sure miss her and the sign makes me smile. The piggy bank is the one Prairie Granny actually made for me when I was a baby.  Now it's the perfect place for all those coins we pull out of jeans before throwing them into the washer.
 
 
 
Another friend made this awesome coat rack out of barn wood and antique, wooden thread spools.  It's the perfect place to hang this old time scale that I still use to estimate the weight of alpaca fleece before I send it out for milling....

 
I didn't realize until I wrote this post that my laundry room is so filled with love!  But three of my friends and my mom all helped add to the character of my laundry room.  No wonder I actually love my laundry room now!
 
Bye for now,
B
 

No comments:

Post a Comment