Saturday, May 18, 2013

Yesterday, I Lost My Mind


This week was sure a busy one.  On Monday my big boy and I drove south to Wilsall, Montana to pick up my Fancy mare from the trainer.  It's a three hour drive there.  Once there, I took a lesson from Jaydee on how to use the new skills Miss Fancy has acquired.  Then we made the trip back and stopped to play a little on the banks of Belt Creek.  A treat for my big boy for being such a good traveling buddy.

On Tuesday I drove north to cousin Joellyn's house for some creative brainstorming.  She is helping us establish our logo and image for the farm.  So stay tuned!  Once we settle on a logo, I will debut it here! 

Wednesday mom and I gardened our hearts out.  We set up irrigation lines, planted lettuce, onions and potatoes and corn.  And I don't mean just a few!  Some thing like 100 potatoes, 200 onions, 4 long rows of lettuce and lots and lots of corn. Mom also got some tomato plants set out in their raised beds and I planted flowers out front.  The rugrats took a good  nap that day and we were able to get so much done!

Thursday was a little less hectic.  We did plant some more seed and put out more irrigation line in anticipation of the rains that were for casted.  It also showered a bit here and there and kept us cool, which was NICE.

Yesterday I lost my mind.....

I drove to the Montana, Wyoming border and picked up ten little angels.  There was an ad on Craigslist for newborn Holstein bull calves at a very good price.  So my traveling buddy and I set off again and made a 12 hour round trip.  They traveled great and ate an awesome supper when we got home.  But boy, it was a rodeo! We have to get our system worked out!  They will require constant care and bottle feeding twice daily, for two months.  But it is a very inexpensive way to get started on growing some awesome, natural, grass fed beef.  Yup, we're gonna eat them.  And that might seem harsh.  But there is no better way to insure that our beef is raised in the most ethical, healthy way.  No routine antibiotics, no cramped, disgusting feed lot conditions.  Just happy steers, eating grass.


This afternoon, the feed room got it's long over due cleaning.  There was so much moldy, nasty hay, straw and grain in that place!  Not to mention mice! Yuck! So after a couple of hours of pitching, raking and hosing it out, it's fit for feed again.  I'm germ phobic and/or smart enough, that I decided to wear a mask the whole time I was working in there.  No Hantavirus for me!! 

Well, I'm gonna go take a couple of Ibuprofen for my aches and pains and hit the hay! 

Thanks for reading!
B

1 comment:

  1. Whoa, girl. You have lost your mind... A little bit crazy..... Lol :).
    Those calves are cute! ;)

    ReplyDelete