Saturday, November 12, 2011

Economics in Geraldine

So let me be painfully honest.  Along with many people in our great country right now, we were not making it financially.  Things are starting to look up for us, thank God, but it has required that we do many things differently.  Ryan had to go back to North Dakota, where it's almost guarenteed that we will have steady work for him.  As part of the neccessary changes, we HAD to find more affordable housing.  The lovely home and acreage, on the outskirts of Billings, with the views of the Yellowstone River was no longer in our budget.  I was PRAYING every day for months for God to show me the solution to our situation.  Several options I truly thought would work and allow us to stay in Billings just refused to pan out.  So then I started searching Craigslist, statewide, for a cheap, country rental.  No luck.  A faint whispering voice in my head said, " just look at the For Sale By Owner section". 

There it was.... cute little yellow house on four lots....with a mobile home on the property as well.  The ad said, "huge yard, lilacs, apple tree, nice community, great school".  The mobile was older and had been remodeled with laminate floors, granite counter tops, tiled bathroom, raised basin sink....it was adorable!  At the bottom was the price.  For both houses $69,000.  But there was also another option.  Buy the trailer alone for $7500.00 and rent the lot for $100 bucks a month!  Now that I had to see!  I didn't think we could even afford $69,000 but I knew I could pay cash for the trailer and then we'd be able to get back on track!  So where in the heck is Geraldine?

Mom, myself and my three monkeys drove up to see it the next day.  Three hours from Billings through some of the most gorgeous country Montana has to offer.  Rollings hills surrounded in the distance by amazing mountains.  Tiny, nearly abandoned farm communites dotted the highway.  We entered Geraldine and there was the place, as directed. We looked at both houses and I just knew it was an answer to many, many prayers.  But I knew the house would have to wait.  Ryan had just returned to North Dakota and  the money just wasn't there for both.  But the trailer was ready for us!  The community was ready for us!  I went home and told Ryan that I wanted to buy the trailer in Geraldine.  He looked and me and said, "whatever you want to do....".

By the end of October things were looking stable for us again.  The work is steady and we've been catching up on bills.  The owner of the house informed me they really needed to get the house sold now.  They were willing to work out a deal for me, with them carrying the note if I'd still be interested! (Another answer to prayer.)  The best part....Only another $57,000 and she could be mine! 

So here we are today with a real opportunity have even more security and eventually NO DEBT.  If things go as planned we will have the house paid off within a year or two.  (It is a five year note.)  Then we will own two homes free and clear!  For the first time in a long time I can breathe.  Because of this tiny, unknown community and what is has to offer, my family and I can afford a fresh start and a new, more simple life.

If anyone is interested there is this cute, little house down the street from mine, for sale for $35,000....

No comments:

Post a Comment