Saturday, November 19, 2011

Remembering My Manners

Maybe you've been somewhere like this.  A place where people are still very happy to see one another.  Instead of hustling past each other on the street with our eyes down.  Or feeling agitated that there is yet another herd of people in front of you at the stop light.  Or trying to not get cranky in the longest line anyone has ever seen at Wal-Mart....

People here ward off loneliness every chance they get.  Almost everyone shows up to nearly every school function the kids have as a way to have somewhat of a social life and stay in touch with each other.  The town is gearing up for the annual "Country Christmas Social".  There will be Indian Tacos, a no host bar and a band will play 'til midnight.  They are also going to show the second round of the Wrangler NFR and have a live auction!  This will be held at the old auditorium that was built soon after the town was founded and has been rejuvenated as part of Obama's reclamation project. (I just have to chuckle about that.)

One of the places people here are most happy to see each other is on the highway or the streets around town.  I am deeply ashamed to say that I am having a very hard time remembering to wave.  If someone drives past you in town, you are supposed to wave!  If you are lucky enough to see another soul on the highway, you wave!  The "highway waves" don't have to be exuberant.  A finger lifted off of the steering wheel will do.  But the "in town" waves are always a fully lifted to wiggling hand accompanied with a nod and a smile. I'm often embarrassed that I completely forget this part of my manners until the person has passed by me, their hand handing in the air. "Dang! Missed it again!"  I feel even worse because I was raised with these country values and I outta know better! It's a code that says we are the locals! It says to each other, "Yes, we are part of this very unique, blessed and often under appreciated way of life!" It also says, " If I see ya broke down on the side of the road on my way back from town I will stop and help you!"

I've been a resident for nearly a month now and it's still sometimes hard for me to remember my manners.  But, today I'm happy to report that I was first to wave at the old man in the early 70's model pickup truck that I passed on my way home from feeding the horses. He waved back and had that "who the heck are you" stare, but that's ok! I'll probably see him at the Christmas social and introduce myself....

No comments:

Post a Comment