Thursday, January 26, 2012

Before and After

I decided to deviate from my normal, essay style on my little blog. A few of you have been curious about the little house and the progress we have made. I regret that I didn't take more before pictures, but these are what I have.
The kitchen had "goldenrod" appliances and the floors were in need of multiple sessions of scrubbing with bleach. It appeared the layers of dirt had actually absorbed into the floor waxes that were used.

 The world's ugliest bathroom had wall board with glittery, faux marble, streaking all over it.  So 1964!  It also had an ugly, gross medicine cabinet and a paper towel dispenser bolted to the wall.  left over from when my house was a daycare.            

The living room is huge and open space.  Every wall in the house was white.  There was no defined dining area except the tiny space in the kitchen.


AFTER

So we have now painted every single wall.  Warm colors that cozy up the place. Added cute rugs over the floors, except the living room, which had awesome, new carpet.
We designated one end of the living room as a dining area.  The table I have was hand made by my step-grandfather and we had to make room for it somewhere!  It's one of the very few earthy possessions I hope to keep forever.  I also had to squeeze in a comfy chair for reading in the mornings.  I also had to add a cute light!                                               

I decided to take the pictures with "reality" in them. My life includes, rugrats, sippy cups and crayons, so the pictures include them as well.

 So far my decorating style is pretty much, "use what ya got".  I haven't bought very many things just for this house.  It's a collaboration of Ryan's things, my things and gifts from friends and family that mean a lot to me.
I was lacking a space for crafts and scrapbooking.  I began to notice that the only reason I wasn't updating the babies' scrapbooks was because I dreaded having to get out all the supplies and then be sure to put them away when I got interrupted.  So I carved out some space for crafting in my huge mud room.  Maybe not the most adorable entry way, but it makes me happy to have this use of space! I do have to go buy a new breakfast nook table though....
For now I have painted over the ugly, bathroom wall board.  I used a light blue to go with the blue tub.  I actually like the blue tub.  It's a bigger size than they put in most homes these days and it's in good condition.  It does need new fixtures and the over hang above the shower ripped out.  I plan on wainscoting the walls, tiling the floor and ripping out the funky sink thing and putting in a real vanity.  But for now painting and making a cute curtain helps!

The kitchen is actually pretty great.  I hate the pink counter tops though and hope to resurface them at some point.  But I love my new stove, love all the cupboard space too! 

The babies room has a nice, traditional rug that was actually picked out by Ryan.  I hung some Remington prints that Ryan already had and made a cowboy themed room for them.  The wardrobe was a freebie that was in the house. 

My room  and Payson's room I will have to update later.  I have some things to do in there yet.  So stay tuned.... I hope you have enjoyed the tour of our little work in progress. 








1 comment:

  1. It looks darling! You've done a lot in a short time. Can't wait to see it in person!

    ReplyDelete