Thursday, July 11, 2013

Skills Old and New

It had been almost twenty years since I last picked up a fence stretcher.  Not since the days on the ranch with Uncle George.  The horse farms I made my living on a few years ago always had nice vinyl or welded fencing.  Not much need for barbed wire and fencing tools.  Days like today I am so grateful for the things people taught me along the road.


I had three sections of fence that all had broken and downed wires.  That is pretty much disaster waiting to happen when you have horses.  So as soon as I could I dragged Jade out to help me get it all repaired.  Today was a little bit cooler than the last few days.  So other than the attacking deer flies, mosquitoes and weeds sticking into our jeans, it was a pretty pleasant project.



I really enjoy teaching Jade how to do new things.  She's now pretty good at pounding in fence staples and fastening the clips.  But the best part of the project was when she accidentally yanked her nose ring out with the fencing tool!  She didn't hurt herself and it was a good laugh for both of us!


 
 
I will never claim to be any kind of expert.  But there sure is some satisfaction in being able to get things done.  I'm hoping to be able to pass on a "can do" attitude to my kids, just like my mom did for me.  I don't think there is anything that Prairie Granny can't do! 

Bye for now,
B

1 comment: