Monday, July 29, 2013

Something To Crow About


When I gathered the eggs this evening, I got a little too excited.  Miss Jade thought I was losing it.  Again....  I opened the egg door and she heard my, "Whoo hoo! Awesome!!".  I caught a sideways glance from her and I had to explain.

 
Today, we got the very first egg from this years Barred Rock pullets! Six months ago we brought home thirty five baby chicks and raised them in the garage until they were big enough to move out to the barn.  We fussed over them and were saddened when we lost one here and there.  Finally all that care and coddling is starting to pay off.  They're hens now, beautiful and proud. 
 
 
The egg on the left is from one of our Black Star hens.  The light blue one is from our Aracauna hen.  And the tiny little egg on the right was today's moment of joy!  Isn't it cute?  They will lay smaller eggs like this for a few weeks and gradually get to normal size.  Jade thinks it would take about fifteen of those pullet eggs to make an omelet!  I think she's right.  But soon we will be getting about thirty gorgeous, all natural eggs from our happy, pastured hens.  I don't think there is anything better!  So if you are looking for better eggs, come on out!  We'll have extra!

Until next time,
B

2 comments: